Topeka Birth Injuries Attorney
call us at (785) 470-4244 If Your Child Was Harmed by Negligent Delivery Procedure
While modern medicine has made delivering a child a much safer procedure than in years past, it can still have disastrous consequences when things go wrong. On top of the general risk of delivery, if a medical professional isn’t on top of his or her job, the results could be catastrophic. If a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional doesn’t carefully monitor the health and wellness of both mother and infant, a birth could result in the injury or death of one or both.
If your child sustained a birth injury, the medical professional in charge of your delivery might be guilty of medical malpractice. contact us (888) 743-1030 about your case today. DiPasquale Moore has more than 100 years of combined legal experience to offer your case. Let us provide you with dedicated and high-quality legal representation.
Call us at (785) 470-4244 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation with us today!
Types of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries during delivery are not that uncommon. Even with the best medical care available, if the baby isn’t positioned well, the process will be much more physically strenuous for both mother and child. However, an experienced and competent medical professional is trained to do whatever he or she can to ensure the birth goes as smoothly as possible. If an injury does occur, it could look like one or more of the following:
- Cephalohematoma: This condition occurs when blood accumulates below the thick fibrous covering of the skull bones. It may cause the head to feel soft and will disappear in a few weeks or months.
- Fractures: Fractures can occur on the skull or other smaller bones, such as the arm or leg. However, skull fractures are rare, and most types heal rapidly without treatment.
- Intracranial hemorrhage: This type of bleeding occurs in the brain, which can happen because of deformity of the skull or lack of oxygen during delivery.
- Nerve injury: Pressure on several different nerves throughout the body can cause nerve damage. Facial nerve pressure caused by forceps use or shoulder nerve damage caused by a lodged arm can cause temporary or permanent nerve damage.
- Perinatal asphyxia: Perinatal asphyxia occurs when too little blood flows to the fetus’s tissues or when there is insufficient oxygen in the blood. This can lead to permanent damage, such as traumatic brain injury.
- Injury to the skin or soft tissues: Some children experience bruising after delivery, especially in the areas put under pressure by contractions. These usually heal without treatment.
Some birth injuries can cause long-term effects on the child and his or her parents. For example, if a child experiences perinatal asphyxia and sustains a type of traumatic brain injury, he or she may be developmentally disabled for the rest of his or her life. In another case, nerve damage to the upper arm could cause Erb’s palsy. Erb’s palsy leads to loss of feeling and weakness in the affected arm. The most severe cases can prevent a child from using the arm at all.
Negligence in Birth Injury Cases
If you think your doctor was responsible for your child’s injury, you need to prove your physician had a duty of care toward you and your child and he or she breached that duty of care, leading to your son’s or daughter’s injury. All doctors have an obligation to perform to the best of his or her ability. If most doctors would have made the same call us at (888) 743-1030 in similar circumstances, you might not be able to prove negligence; however, if any reasonable doctor could testify your doctor failed to perform some important test or monitoring, you are more likely to win your case. If a medical professional failed to monitor, detect, or treat a maternal infection, failed to plan and carry out an emergency C-section, failed to identify and deal with a prolapsed umbilical cord, and failed to use birth-assisting tools correctly, he or she is guilty of negligence.
Contact Our Skilled Attorneys About Your Case
Medical malpractice cases can be incredibly complex. They usually involve a hefty amount of investigation, including the testimony of medical experts that can prove your doctor acted with incompetence or gross negligence in their service to you. Let our skilled Topeka personal injury attorneys help. Our legal team can pour over your medical records and any other relevant evidence to help prove your doctor’s fault.
We understand any injury to a child is a parent’s worst nightmare. You and your family may be experiencing emotional, physical, and financial upheaval as a result of the injury and may be unsure of what to do. Our firm wants to help you pursue rightful compensation to help you cope with the cost of the injury. If the birth injury multiplied your medical bills by a significant amount, the party responsible should be the one to pay for it. Let us see what we can do for you and your family.
Schedule your free case review with our attorneys by calling us at (785) 470-4244 or filling out our online form with your case details. We look forward to hearing from you.
Adam has been a fantastic lawyer. Very informative along with sweet Ayatt, who has always been there for me. The entire team, I will be a strong referral for the firm! Thanks guys!” - Joe
” - J.W.
Highly Recommend Spencer Phillips. He’s got this! 5 stars.