Electric Scooter Injury Attorney in Kansas City
Electric Scooter Rental Services Are Growing in Popularity
In less than 2 years, electric scooter rental companies Bird and LimeBike have grown exponentially, popping up in major cities throughout the U.S. They have become so popular that Bird is reported to already be worth $1 billion.
The popularity of these electric scooter rental services is due in part to the fact that one can simply find a nearby scooter, unlock it, and pay by the minute to ride it, all using an app. It is also fairly cheap, requiring users to pay $1 to start a ride and charging 15 cents per minute.
Bird scooters have been available in Kansas City since July 2018 and have already begun to cause problems in some parts of the city. They have been banned in Country Club Plaza due to reported safety issues. Kansas City officials and Bird representatives are reportedly working together to ensure scooters are used in a safe manner.
LimeBike scooters may soon enter the scene as well, increasing the availability and use of rental electric scooters throughout urban areas in Kansas City.
Common Injuries & Accidents Associated with E-Scooters
Along with electric scooters themselves, reports of crashes and injuries involving electric rental scooters are growing more common. These electric scooters can travel up to 15 miles per hour and, as you might suspect, they tend to break down to some degree after prolonged use, creating an opportunity for a variety of injuries and accidents.
Many Bird and LimeBike users have reported a variety of accidents stemming from a number of sources, including:
- Defective parts
- Lack of scooter maintenance
- Issues with the terrain, uneven sidewalks, roadway debris, etc.
- Swerving or quickly turning in order to avoid hitting another person or motor vehicle
- Collisions with cars, car doors, etc.
- Collisions involving scooter riders and pedestrians
- Wobbling wheels
- Locked-up front wheels
- Ineffective braking mechanisms
- Vandalism or undetected damage to the scooter’s steering or motor
There is also an increasing number of people who have been struck by scooter users, which can cause expensive and painful injuries, such as head trauma and broken bones. If this happens to you or a loved one, you may still have legal recourse. Following a collision with a person riding a Bird or LimeBike scooter, be sure to do the following:
- Collect personal and contact information from the person who hit you.
- Collect information about the vehicle they were riding and the reason for the accident.
- Speak to any witnesses who saw the accident.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries.
- Keep a tally of all injury-related costs and damages.
- Connect with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Hurt While Using an Electric Scooter? Talk to Personal Injury Attorney in Kansas City.
At DiPasquale Moore, we provide advocacy and counsel for people who have been injured because of the negligence or recklessness of another party, such as a scooter manufacturer or rental company. We may be able to help you recover compensation for medical bills and other expenses related to your injuries, such as:
- Lost wages and income
- Disability and its long-term financial effects
- Pain and suffering, mental anguish, and other intangible damages
- Medical treatment(s) and rehabilitation
- Visits with medical specialists
- Hospital bills
With our Kansas City personal injury lawyers on your side, you may not have to absorb the full costs of your injury on your own. Our team at DiPasquale Moore may be able to help you make a strong case against the responsible party and help you pursue a fair outcome in your case.